What Are Nicotine Salts?
What are nicotine salts and how do nic salts stack up against freebase nicotine in e-liquid?
Vaping has come a very long way over the last decade, and there is no denying that the strength of the vaping industry is pushing innovation from vape and e-liquid companies around the globe. Vaping has seen a lot of different movements from where it began. Cig-a-likes through to mech mods and sub-ohm setups, and now we’re seeing a growing trend towards pod vapes.
One of the most exciting things to evolve recently is nicotine salts or nic salts.
For vapers that are chasing clouds and running huge DIY coil setups on drippers, nic salts aren’t going to be of much interest. They’re chasing clouds and flavour. However, not all vapers are chasing clouds with large mods. They’re more interested in things like throat hits and nicotine levels.
That’s where nic salts make their entrance. Savory Vapes has a huge range of nic salts to choose from, and their team of friendly and professional staff is always happy to answer any questions which you may have. If you’re looking for an online vape shop in Burnaby, why not give them a look?
What Are Nic Salts and Why Are Vapers Using Them?
When you look at the numbers, it’s not much of a reach to assume that almost all vapers began vaping originally as a means to help them quit smoking traditional cigarettes. When you first quit smoking, you’re looking for a vaporizer which is reliable and can handle high nicotine e-liquids.
The next step after those cheaper pen vapes, and eGo style e-cigarettes is a mod with a small tank. Now, you’re starting to look at e-liquids with less nicotine and more flavour choices. You’re also going to get a lot less throat hit with high VG e-liquids.
Nic salts are the solution to this problem. To understand more how nic salts work, let’s take a look at the other nicotine option, freebase nicotine.
Traditional e-liquids were made with what is known as freebase nicotine. Completely different to nic salts. Freebase nicotine is the ‘purest’ version of nicotine. You don’t have to do anything to it except add it to your e-liquid in the correct ratio.
Nic salts are made from the nicotine, which is in its natural state. Just like the same compound, you would find in a tobacco leaf. If you added this material to your favourite e-liquid, you would have to turn the heat up so much that it wouldn’t be vapable. Also, the nicotine itself wouldn’t absorb very well so you would have to vape a lot more. The trick here is a little modification before the nic salts are ready to vape!
Let’s get into the chemistry a little without going too deep here.
- Freebase nicotine has a high pH. This leads to more alkalinity and a harsher throat hit which leads many vapers to vape at lower amounts than they normally need.
- When you add benzoic acid to nic salts, you’ll get the opposite experience. It drops the pH levels in the nicotine and drops the alkalinity. You’re left with a much smoother vaping experience with higher levels of nicotine.
What does this mean? It means that you can more comfortably vape nic salt e-liquids with up to 50mg of nicotine without blowing your throat and lungs to bits. Good luck doing that with your sub-ohm tank and mod.
If nic salts sound like something that you’d be interested in, why not give the team at the Burnaby online vape shop, Savory Vapes a look? They have a huge selection of premium high-quality nic salt e-liquids available to choose from.
The Advantages and Disadvantages of Nic Salts
There are always going to be some advantages and some disadvantages to anything, and nic salts are no different than anything else. Often, what one person considers as a disadvantage someone else may see as an advantage.
Nic Salts Advantages
- Satisfaction (cravings) – When new vapers first try to make a switch from smoking traditional cigarettes to vaping or e-cigarettes, one of the hardest things is obtaining that satisfaction. When you utilize nic salts, you’re getting that nicotine craving satisfied without having to burn your lungs and throat to do it.
- Smoother Hits With Higher Nicotine Levels – Nic salts allow you to satisfy your nicotine cravings in much lower temperatures and at the same time allow you to experience a smoother throat hit.
- Better Flavor – The lower the level of freebase nicotine in your e-liquids, the more you’ll start to experience the different flavors and even subtle flavor profiles. The more freebase nicotine, the more you’re limited to basic flavors with that nicotine tinge to them.
When you make the switch to nic salts, you’ll notice that there is almost no effect on the flavour of your e-liquid. Even at high levels like 50mg. This allows you to experience the best of both worlds with higher nicotine levels and improved flavour profiles.
- Lower Prices – The price of premium and high-quality sub-ohm tanks and mods can easily run you up between $100-300. When you compare that to a small pod vaporizer running nic salts, you’re going to be at around $50-75. That’s a massive saving straight up, especially when you start looking at the price of coils and worst-case scenario you break it.
Nic Salts Disadvantages
- Too Much Nicotine For Some – If you were only a light or occasional smoker, then the amount of nicotine can be a little too much for some new vapers.
- Not As Many Options – When you’re using nic salts, you’re not going to have as many options when it comes to nic salts. Generally, most people utilize nic salts in small pod vapes such as the JUUL. If a small stealth vape is something you’re looking for, then this could be an advantage too.
The ability to customize and modify your vaporizer is a lot more limited because of the type of vaporizer you’re going to end up using. If you’re sick of buying coils or rebuilding them, then maybe it’s time for a change anyway?
Could Nic Salts Be The Right Choice For You?
This isn’t always the easiest statement to make without knowing the individual that’s making a choice, but there are some questions which you can ask yourself to determine if nic salts may be better for you.
- Do I consider myself to be a heavy smoker (more than 1-2 packs per day)?
- Am I looking to replicate my current smoking experience or quit smoking altogether?
- Have I been searching for a higher nicotine level in my e-liquid and a smoother vaping experience overall?
- Do I enjoy premium flavours, but am constantly craving more nicotine?
- Is the size of the vaporizer, pod vape, or e-cigarette a consideration in what I purchase?
- What is my budget and how much money am I willing to spend?
If you answered yes to any of the questions above, then nic salts could be an option for you rather than a larger, more powerful sub-ohm setup.
When you first attempt to quit smoking and make a move over to e-cigarettes, then nic salts and a high-quality pod vape are probably going to give you the best chance of success. Smaller vape pods are also much easier for beginners to handle as they aren’t as complicated and are also a lot more affordable.
If nic salts sound like something that you’d be interested in, why not give the team at the Burnaby online vape shop, Savory Vapes a look? They have a huge selection of premium high-quality nic salt e-liquids available to choose from. If you have any questions about pod vapes or nic salts, then don’t hesitate to contact them! Their friendly and professional team are always happy to assist. Happy vaping!